mercoledì 4 dicembre 2013

Ragù alla bolognese

The first time I went to London, I was 13 and the family hosting me served spaghetti alla bolognese. I was so happy to realize that food would not have been a problem all along my trip.

This was true before seeing canned spaghetti, too white and gluey, soakend in oil with some blocks of tomato minced meat. They were really disgusting so I haven't eaten bolognese sauce for long time.

The recipe has its orgins in Bologna and It is a good alternative to the Sunday gravy. I want to dedicate this post to a dear friend of mine, living in Bologna, Gianluca. He loves good food and he helps us to sing good music at musixmatch .

Normally the bolognese is tossed with fresh tagliatelle (fresh egg pasta dough) or as lasagna stuffing that better grab the sauce and NEVER with spaghetti that are too thin and regular. I do not like fresh egg pasta, I find it too heavy to serve with a sauce that is already rich so I always choose dried pasta rigata (rigatoni or also penne).

This sauce can be made 2 days ahead and once cooked It could be frozen. Moreover there are some cooks that enrich their recipes with thinly sliced pancetta or minced sausage but  I think that here less is more.

400 gr beef minced meat (serving 6)
1 lt tomato passata
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 glass red wine
2 tbs oil
salt
pepper
fresh parmesan
nutmeg


Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Sauté until soft then add beef, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until browned. Pour in the wine and reduce.

Add tomato paste and tomato passata afterwards. Salt and cook for a hour (stir from time to time and add some water, if needed), until the sauce is reduced and thick. Turn the heat off and add some nutmeg and pepper.


                                     Toss the pasta, serving with some parmesan.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento